CAGD 270 Level Design

3D Game Level 2 V1

April 19, 2023 - May 1, 2023

For this assignment, I had to construct a brand-new level design and its new theme relating to the medieval. It took me a lot of time to know what type of concept I wanted to rely on based on the theme and the environment. I was thinking of either making the level expire upon a village or the castle's inner walls. Making the village didn't let me experience experimenting with different ways to move forwards by not having any obstacles. I wanted to contribute by adding moving platforms or a form of parkour than just running around in a single plane. For starters, I wanted to make my concept art to reference the Gothic era of medieval. Still, I was struggling because I was a Perficient person who wished to be a replica. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any references I wanted to rely on, so I focused on the surroundings rather than the actual 3D platformer game-level design. All three concept art images below are a part of the reference I wanted to include in this version but needed help to imply the actual concept by revisiting the concept art; I wanted to rely on this version at a practice level and then actually use this reference for my next version. 
Not just the concept art but also the annotated map, which I had to change throughout the progress by minimizing it to a first attempt of an intermedia level. The image below represents the foundation of the level, which I wanted to replicate, and adds the extra interaction of the items and enemies.
For this level, I needed to add a final boss fight, so I ended up adding it with a good amount of space to battle, but counter fires from the enemies being forced to push through a wall during battle impact. From the previous level, I had some errors related to the moving platforms, open edge corners, and glitching through the wall. It took three times to re-check my progress from room to room so I could avoid the issues I faced and never had the chance to change before the final evaluation. It took almost a day to fix it, but I did it with other things in mind. I wanted to apply for this upcoming version.
All the testers liked my level and provided valuable feedback throughout the playtest. The first tester was quick and unexpected because my walls for the final weren't high enough for the player to achieve it without jumping over it. I had to fix it before another play tester came along and tried to find out if all my walls, floors, stairs, or floating platforms weren't colliding actively, for the player didn't clip. Another consideration is expanding the final room to be big enough for both the bosses to move along, especially in a battle without clipping out through the wall. Overall, all the playtesters admire my window expressions meaning the player can see the overview of the upcoming platforms or the obstacles beforehand. For the forthcoming level 2, I want to add another world of an underground layer or the village itself, but I want to expand the horizon and make a story connection. This is still a draft of progress to making an actual game itself.

3D Game Level 1 V2

April 12, 2023 - April 17, 2023

For this assignment, I had to modernize my level into version 2 and try to complete my actual design from the annotated map image above. I struggled to be more organized and remember to save before moving forward. I had to figure out which item and where belonged in which room. I planned to make my level more focused on the platform, yet it wasn't what I thought throughout the playtest. I only playtested once, but I could have played more for the final emission. Adding the multiple moving platforms and duplicating could have been a better idea because it caused numerous delays, making the player slide off or move in the right direction. I liked the detail I had of the cave walls, which made the player visualize entering an actual cave in real life. It took most of my time developing it without realizing I had to add an extra layer or cube to cover the corners. It was a blast, and I thought it wouldn't cause any issues from the beginning of this level; it seemed fine, but going towards it became frustrating and concerning on my part. I realized I still needed to complete the playtest midway to the end, so I would have less chaos I created for the other players without explaining myself every minute. The only less consuming of this level were the checkpoints, health crate, enemies, switches, doors, and the info UI. If you do it once for each item, I mention you can duplicate except the doors and the controls; you just need to switch them for the specific room you need to open or active, especially the main entrance towards the end. The only thing I left behind was the material of the environment by defining what they were by not just blinding one to another.

This image above is the final scene, although it had some issues when all five playtested. Some problems were the controller functions, moving platform delays and physics, open holes, and the need for color. When I playtest my level, I only use the mouse and keyboard, yet it seems complicated when you try it for the second time while a player is used to playing with a controller. The main issues I had from the feedback from all five play testers were the physics and movability delays of the platform to another. In some areas, it tried to add a helpful platform for the player to stand while waiting for the next platform, which made the player slide off with just one jump. The scale of most of the platforms was off dilated to player balance in the middle while moving in a ping-pong movement. The cave wall's uniqueness had developed obstacles of leaving open holes, which gave the player access to the possibility of clichés or traps in the void. Lastly, I wasn't even considering adding materials because I was plaster on fixing the moving platform and others in which the color was out of the picture. If I had the time, I would add the material and props such as trees, rocks/boulders, more enemies, any special effects if possible, etc. By observing all five playtesters, they all agreed my level was unique and exciting as it was easy to understand, enjoyable, and adventurous for being so spacious. Besides all the informative feedback I received, it was pleasant; I gathered more ideas I would contribute in the future level design if possible; I would like the same concept but add different items, as well making it a little bit of a challenge level than just being a tutorial for beginners.

3D Game Level 1 V1

March 30, 2023 - April 10, 2023

For this new assignment, I need to use Unity software to make a 3D Level 1. Yet again, this level one needs to be at a tutorial level while introducing the new game mechanism from a 2D platform into a 3D medium. Unity wasn’t the only fundamental game mechanism I had to experience at first glance for a level design but also using or involving a project from the asset store 3DGamekitLite. The only positive thing I experienced while using this was that it was simpler to plug in Prefabs and GameObjects than the usual coding. As usual, the main objective was the theme and making it as simple as tutorial gameplay for beginners. The theme is upon Sci-Fi Jungle, difficulty easy, and most importantly, the usage of UI to inform the player what control they can use if they use a joystick, gamepad, or keyboard. To begin the foundation of knowing what to start by having some concept art, annotated map, and the level design, I had to imagine into reality.
The images above are the three-concept art I anticipated using as a reference based on the theme. Even though the idea of the environment would be a futuristic apocalypse, I wanted to leave the ruins of how the earth was left behind to tell its history from events. I liked the jungle to be the focus of the environmental atmosphere. Meanwhile, I went through some strays of tech/steampunk/any Sci-Fi objects as a single or another living organism trespassing/living in this new world. I had no idea to imply some thoughts I had in mind, but I was visualizing some Sci-Fi adaptations from the Predator series, Stray, Astro Boy, etc.
Considering all three-concept art, I picked one that might inspire my ideas into reality: using the temple as the foundation of the player getting the chance to roam around for an adventure within the depths inside the hidden temple. Making this into reality for a level design, I created two annotated maps that demonstrate how the level designer can see overhead. I wanted to add a waterfall, a cave, a fountain, a tomb, and most likely the scenery of an actual adventure explorer from the Mummy series or Indiana Johns series. I wanted to incorporate a puzzle maze so the players can challenge themselves to escape obstacles and dangerous settings as any explorer may encounter.
I had fun making this level, but it had so many mechanics, which frustrated me by knowing the most common in making my level design as I imagined. The issues I faced were the platform movements, checkpoints, glitches, and especially finding a way to end a level without pressing the escape button to quit the game. The platforms were challenging to function in my favor at first because if I wanted to move the actual platform object, I had to press the correct coordinates without moving the start and end functions of the platform. Little by little, I also tried to focus on which to move the checkpoints closely. Adding the checkpoints needs to object which they needed to merge each other so the player can find it easier than just a tiny dot/sphere. I had to change it to a simpler platformer in a shorter range as just tutorial gameplay for beginners. Unfortunately, I couldn’t apply an ending sequence; I did leave a UI message for ending the level. For the upcoming version two of this level, I might add more obstacles and expand the level to the actual design I created in my annotated map.

2D Mega Man Level 2

March 20, 2023 - March 27, 2023

For this final project level design, I had to reconstruct a level two in the Mega Man Maker. I had to reuse the same format-level design from version two of the tutorial level. After replaying the game, I realized only some playtesters are compatible with the keyboard and controller. Testing my level was difficult because I’m a player controller, yet I don’t own one, so I had to function the keyboard for quite a while. It took me quite a time to surpass my level, even though I had to complete it to publish it online for others to play. This level design was one of the best experiences I had encountered by testing new enemies, platforms, backgrounds, environmental elements, power-ups, and further pick-ups. The theme had to relate to a forest or jungle, and I was thinking of using the jungle surface, including a waterfall and a temple. The image below represents the concept art I wanted to relate to, and I wanted this level to become a run strategy from the familiar game Temple Run.

I wanted to recreate parts of the concept art into my level as if the player adventure through the jungle in one go. By doing so, I used the same annotated map by adding new and more items I had to include for this particular level. As I mentioned in the previous version of tutorial level two, I received some excellent feedback and had to make some notable changes I have applied. By re-formatting the map, I had to pick two unique power-ups the players obtained for this level. I had to choose between O.Slider, C.Kick, Nado, S.Arrow, and Super.A, which I had one in mind while the others were nonconclusive for this particular level design. Some of the main reasons I didn’t use Nado, O.Slider, and Super.A because my level design wasn’t meant to be wide open areas, large water functions, and not having a reliable power by not having the player a weakness. I used the other two for the super kick or glide and a role for the player to create their platform. Unfortunately, I was focused on the C.Kick because it can glide under the spikes and break its breaking blocks to advance, while for the S.Arrow, I had an obstacle by having other methods by not contributing. To contribute to the theme, I divided it into four sections jungle, waterfall, cave, and temple theme to inturbidate a small world. By adding the water element, I use two enemies, which are the prunus, soft dense robots, and a squid, as the “final boss” right before the parkour level section. I still couldn’t find the moving platforms, but I used a different kind, which still works. The image below is the annotated map involving the items I would use and the environmental elements I wanted to portray for the final procreation for this level design.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see the efficiency of play testers required to playtest my level design. I still had enough good feedback to make my level a better version. One playtester was confused about the concept of the game even though the title is “Jungle Run,” which represents the level that is supposed to run to escape the danger of the jungle rather than fighting and obtaining xp points. If there were a way to leave a description before playing this game as a note or node, I would gladly describe my level functions and purpose. The last feedback I consider fixing in the future is by switching the black spikes into a different type of spicks or changing its color because it hides within the background. All the playtesters really like the final results; besides the hidden spikes, I’m happy with my final results.

2D Mega Man v2

March 8,2023 - March 20, 2023

This assignment was a reconstruction of version 1 to version 2 same level. Although I still needed to learn how to re-edit the original version in the software of Mega Man Maker, I did a brand-new level design with almost the same concept as the levels. I even made an annotated map to figure out the actual level design I imagined, yet I made it a little too long and challenging. This new level is normal to the complex because it took me almost a whole week to construct it, especially passing the level to import online. The image below is the map I went by in creating this level design, yet I changed some stuff around while in progress. I could use the same format for the upcoming level with the same foundation but with a different theme and add-ins.

For this version, I had only to add keys and doors for the player to have an obstacle by adding a hidden element though out the playtest. I also added new features, platforms, and enemies, considering the feedback I received from the previous version of the tutorial-level design. The only problem I had was learning how to use flying platforms. I saw from other students’  playtest the propellers platforms and even the ones that shot your player. To replace it, I use three new platforms: a turnaround platform with spikes, fans, and a portable platform. Initially, I used the water rather than the quicksand to experiment with new elements that impacted gravity, forcing the player to jump high and sink lower. I also used the quicksand as a platform, but it became a critical hazard from other play testers’ feedback. I took advantage of using the keys and the doors by making the playthrough of a labyrinth by using the keys a miracle to pass through a hidden door. The only new “element” I used was the teleporter which is the best thing I have ever encountered. It made it easier for players with three different options to decide which path to choose for any easy getaway by escaping a level or not.

The day of the playtest was fascinating, watching the players playthrough my massive maze with an improvement. So far, all five playtesters mentioned they like this type of version, even though it wasn’t supposed to be this version. As I said before, and letting those who played, I had to re-create this version with a brand-new level design. I have seen and heard how to improve this level by taking away quicksand as a platform because it took more time than the actual playthrough, which I can agree upon. Try to make it a little bit more organized towards the second end of this level design because it is a miss of having all enemies in one signal level. I consider this an achievement because I had fun creating it with the fundamental I had to imply throughout the progress. I might use the same format for the upcoming level but differently so it can seem otherwise; it will become just as dull, in my opinion.

2D Mega Man v1

February 27, 2023 - March 6, 2023

For this assignment, I had to recreate a new tutorial level for a 2D MegaMan platform in its unique software named MeganMan Maker. The concept for this level is making it a western theme, which I made based on a cave mine environment background. I needed to apply the options for the character sliding and charge shot to be activated and the charge type of MM5. The enemies had to be within Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 6, and the bosses were only energy elements from collecting to the end of the level. The only option we needed to apply were checkpoints, breakable blocks, quicksand, falling platforms, and lastly, pickups which were small and large health points. Constructing this particular level design relating to Mega Man begins with a foundation, a concept sketch, and an annotated map before creating the platform in action.

The western theme was part of the aspiration to construct the level design based on it but with a little twist. I have seen some references from another previous assignment, which I wanted to be different in the way of what other format screams out western than just a saloon, church, canyons, desert, etc. The only concept I went behind was a mine shaft or cave mine because it was part of an actual real-life abandoned cave mine from the back of the day without the iconic "saloon theme" from other video games, inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2. Even though the people who playtested my level said that my game wasn't a western theme, I wanted to create something relating western. I must imply another environmental element for my second version that needed to speak western.

Planning to imply an annotated platform map from scratch was the most complex overall; it was the foundation for my level design. I was overthinking what type of platform I wanted to create as I questioned myself; Do I need to add a boss battle? Is this level of design meant for a beginner or an expert? And much more. As for me, it has been quite a while since I last played a platformer game since Nintendo Switch. So I started to plan a three different level design from easy, standard, and complex; in my defense, this game needed to be available to play within the ten-minute timers than less than 3 minutes from my previous level design of a DnD. the other decision I had to handpick what enemies I wanted to imply for this level even though the website from describing each fundamental of all the enemies are entirely different from the software. I had a limit of enemies to apply without realizing the affection it caused throughout the gameplay, which I needed to change later.

Overall throughout the playtest, 4 out of 5 players finished my game within the time limit of 10 minutes. From all this, five playtesters imply this level needed to be a tutorial level, not advanced. I had to doubt myself because I used to play a platform I created for a tutorial level mentioning or demonstrating all three different levels in one gameplay, which this time didn't go as planned. I need to add another checkpoint in the middle of the second level for the upcoming version and try to change or get more enemies, as I have been told by all five playtesters. By the end of the day, this was the best level I was fond of, and work behind it.

Simple DnD Map v3

February 15, 2023 - February 22, 2023

For this final assignment, I had to create a new level map in the Roll20 website from the previous two tasks by knowing the basics and the functions. In the two previous assignments, I had to create a level tutorial map that I thought needed multiple tokens, aka power-ups, but unfortunately, it made the game function unstable. Even though it was supposed to be a tutorial-level map, I wanted the player to have a challenge by implying more enemies. Yet, they needed to be stronger as expected, involving the player having efficient power-ups. By seeing a second look, I saw the flaw I had never seen before starting a brand-new version game level. For starters, I needed to have the concept of brainstorming and annotating a simple map environment. I just went with the flow, which backfired in the end, so I ended it with the worst, simple DnD map version I have ever created. Below are the two maps I made in the previous assignments:

                                                                      

Different from this assignment to know what I wanted, especially the concept to use and having my own two annotated maps before implying it for the playtest. The easiest part is knowing the theme and the environment before getting the references to the level design. The theme for this level design is Post-apocalyptic Alien Invasion; it reminds me of Aliens or the game Prey. The required article for this level is Prison Break; this immediately resembles the game Prey which I use one image from the game as a reference. I gathered three references of what I wanted this level to become in my vision of the game I wanted to construct.

For this concept art reference, I wanted to represent the cell block in a futuristic environment in space. I liked the cell to be transparent so the players wouldn't notice if it were there to begin. Hidden traps might activate the closed cell open with a particular unknown being out to hunt.

For this concept art reference, I wanted to expect the corridor to be a non-ending loop from escaping without any direction signal. It might be challenging to hide from aliens and especially try to reach the end without dying out of oxygen—a labyrinth of deadly obstacles the player needs to escape before the time runs out.

For this concept art reference, I wanted a mid-checkpoint for the player to restart the position while continuing because, without it, the player needs to restart the level from the beginning. This checkpoint can also represent the end of the level before advancing to the next level of the escapable labyrinth of prison and surviving.

Having the references as helping guidance in creating two annotated maps, one represents the grid pathway of the level design. I made the map more accessible by having different colorations, implying stairs, jail/cell, and hidden doors, and defining the first and second floors. While the first map only represents the level's concept borders, the second map illustrates the tokens and the enemies. Each token represents power-ups, checkpoints, and enemies. I constructed a functional playthrough with an efficiency of how the players interact for more than 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to playtest my game because of health complications. I hope that my game gets the opportunity to be playtested, and I want to know if what I did was either good or bad. Below is the final concept of the level design of my game.

Simple DnD Map v2

February 8, 2023 - February 15, 2023

For this project, I had to recreate or fix my DnDMap from version one by adding or updating it. Unfortunately, I erased or deleted my previous version of the map, so I had to create one from scratch. I made a better understanding by adding more enemies, tokens, environmental elements, interactions, and adding characters. I had everything in motion, as having a side note of what individual tokens represent and the affection towards the player and the new enemies. The problem I was experiencing was needing more access from my laptop to the PC. Yet, it works, recreating a more recent version of my DnDMap.


From this map


To this version.

Jacob played the Mage during the playtest, and Avery played the Warrior. They both had the option to pick a path and travel individually but didn't because I mention I added more enemies, which might be challenging to surpass. The abilities it acquires to achieve to advance or at least escape the cave need to obtain three keys by either finding its way to all corners of the cave retake its steps which represent unaccomplished or did not finish. When the players retrieve a token or multiple, they can use it or not while fighting. The maximum power and the abilities greatly help the players to defeat the level, even though this is just a tutorial. 

Sadly, it wasn't the playtest I expected to apply while adding too many power-ups, less the two through a four-minute game. Thankfully it was just a playtest, so I have more time to fix it by having feedback from both Jacob and Avery. They mention changing the token attributes by using it once per round for only one player, not both. I needed to make the boss level a little complicated by adding more minions or more attributes of power to defeat a single player than none. Having side notes from the previous version to this made me realize I had a creative imagination even though it impacted the playtest baby mode more than average. Nothing can compare the usage of side notes to improve a level designer for future references to understand better.

Lately, this type of beginner-level design is the experience I wanted to expect when starting the basics, from gameboard planning to the actual playtest, if I still needed to improve and progress in becoming a better level designer towards a game designer.

 Simple DnD Map v1

February 1, 2023 - February 8, 2023

For my first project, I constructed a simple DnD map on the Roll20 website. It was fun as a beginner and knowing the basics of creating something from blocks and a grid. I had multiple creations and ideas I had in mind to finalize the map. Although I decided on the final map, I had conflicted some issues with the website platform, but I still needed to progress. I had my simple DnD map playtested from Jacob, as the Ranger, and Avery, as the Warrior. The playthrough was excellent and well-constructed because it made the players make their own choices. They needed to choose a pathway to travel through and face obstacles throughout the first level. While constructing this map, I wanted it to be an accessible labyrinth for the players to have an adventure and explore inside the dungeon of an unknown cave. I had big plans while creating this particular map. Still, the website platform needed to catch up, preventing me from adding avatar/character tokens, power-up tokens, element implements, and more. Unfortunately, it was the first version, so I have plans for the upcoming performances. 


DnD Map v1

There were some issues besides the lag while making this map, which my playtesters recommended I improve for the upcoming version. One of the plaster, Jacob, mentioned I had to imply more obstacles for the players, especially having a gap for the players to jump over, except for the die being a higher number. I added more barriers and illusions for the players impacted by interacting with the wall/barrier to earning a secret pathway or a power-powerup. Yet, I needed to explain them as being just tutorial addresses. 



Improving my map might take more than trying to develop a true uniqueness of how the players' likeness—trying to add more obstacles such as gaps, sub-enemies, environmental circumstances, adding side quests, and much more. No matter the situation, I will try to improve my map.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAGD 370 Video Game Development

CAGD 377: Mobile Game Development

CAGD 230 Digital Modeling